Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resources for Working with Students at Home

Parent Support Group Webinar:

In an effort to support our families and community better during this time of school closures, we are offering a weekly free Parent Support Group webinar on Sundays at 1p PST. Our hope is to have these weekly not only so we can provide tips on working with your child with special needs from home, but also to build a community so everyone feels supported and less isolated during this uncertain time period. Although this is targeted toward parents of students with special needs, please feel free to share the link.

As a reminder, participants are encouraged to use only first names when entering the webinar. By participating in the webinar, you implicitly and explicitly assume responsibility for maintaining the confidentiality of you and your student. Advocacy Associates Inc. is not liable for any violation of confidentiality occurring during the webinar as your participation is voluntary. This is not a therapeutic support group.

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar. We will be recording the webinar for those who are unable to attend.

Facebook Page: While we will make every attempt to post learning resources on our webpage, our Facebook page has more information available. Search for "Advocacy Associates Inc." in the Facebook search bar to find our page. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need an Educational Advocate?

You may need an Educational Advocate if your student is experiencing any of the following:

  • Insufficient support and services
  • School failure
  • School avoidance
  • Mental health challenges negatively impacting school performance
  • Lack of follow through from the school district
  • School refuses to assess your student
  • You suspect there are other things your student needs
  • Suspensions or expulsions

How do I know if I need an Educational Consultant?

Educational consultants help you find a new school, therapeutic program, gap year or young adult program. If you are looking for a private or nonpublic school in your area, educational consultants can help. If your student has mental health challenges, seems stuck, isn’t ready to go to college or needs more support as a young adult, an educational consultant can help you find the right placement. In Utah alone, there are over 700 programs serving students of all ages. An educational consultant visits programs nationwide and internationally so she can return with first-hand knowledge in her program recommendations.

How is an IEP different from a 504 Plan?

An Individual Educational Program (IEP) is a document based on the individual needs of a student with disabilities who is identified through the assessment and qualification process for Special Education. An IEP provides accommodations and special education services for a student. A Section 504 Plan addresses accommodations/modifications for your child to have "equal access" to school-based services. It does not have to be generated collaboratively but is completed based on the evidence of school or agency staff of what the access needs of the individual may be. A 504 plan is a general education function so special education services are not provided.

What are the next steps for me to work with you?

The first step is to contact us to set up a consultation. At the consultation, we will review any relevant documents you bring, such as a psychological evaluation, transcripts, current IEP/504, or any other records you believe will be helpful for us to discuss. After we review the documents, we collaboratively create a plan of action to implement for your student.